PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moruya crash 19/12/19
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2019, 01:55
Subversive1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flying Bear

Quite right, Roundsounds. It is unlikely the pilot was an Aussie, but nevertheless my point still stands - it has long baffled me that a pilot who completes all their periodic assessments in a twin never has to demonstrate the ability to judge a FLWOP - but is still okay for singles in this country (and probably others).

I note that the “general competency” rule possibly covers this - but many pilots don’t know that they are not competent enough until they get caught out.

Not looking to make flying even more onerous, but this is a real issue that will pop up from time to time and it always looks bad for our industry when the pilot of a single is not able to stick a forced landing - especially when there is an airport right there.
At some point, in my humble opinion, this becomes the responsibility of the individual. The system is already too onerous and it's unlikely that requiring an AFR for each class rating would have much real effect on outcomes anyway. I fly everyday and occasionally undershoot a glide. Conditions are often different in the last 200 feet or so, particularly on the coast. That said, they did have quite a bit of height to manoeuvre.