PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air 200 stolen in Fresno by a 17-yo
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2019, 22:33
OldnGrounded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krismiler
It's a bit concerning that anyone can access this sort of information on a smartphone by simply going to Youtube and searching for a video. I found one on how to start an A320 with a quick search.

https://youtu.be/uqKeSO6msDk

Obviously security needs to be increased as equipment such as bulldozers, excavators and railway trains which are attractive toys can now be operated by anyone who can do an internet search. Airport security is obviously of a higher standard but there would be little to stop someone getting into the cab of a train whilst stopped at a station and making off with it. In the days before the internet, information on operating equipment would have been difficult to find for someone outside of that particular industry, not any more.
Security and secrecy are different things. And relying on secrecy for security is a fundamentally-flawed idea.

In the days before the Internet, it wasn't as immediately easy to obtain operating instructions, but it certainly wasn't difficult. Finally, it simply isn't realistic to expect this sort of information to be kept out of the public sphere -- and in some countries it would be impossible to make laws or rules to try to do that.

Anyway, I'm pretty old and I don't remember stolen trains and airplanes being a major threat to public safety.