PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilatus PC-12 down in Chamberlain, South Dakota, 9 dead.
Old 18th Dec 2019, 21:41
421dog

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
I’m imagining that this is somewhat more arcane information than the European brethren on the site require, but, as an erstwhile visitor to Chamberlain on a yearly basis, for over a decade, on, usually the weekend after thanksgiving (end of November for the uninitiated), there is no hangar space for anything of any size, and the best deicing option is a trip to the local hardware store (Bomgaars, I think, but in any case really nice people) the night before departure to pick up 10 gallons of polyethylene glycol (“RV antifreeze” which a guy can heat-soak in the bathtub of his hotel room [I recommend The Hillside Motel,as they have pheasant cleaning facilities, a nice eatery across the parking lot, and a liquor store across the street] as well as a pushbroom and a pressure sprayer.)
On a couple of occasions, we applied the pushbroom, saw that we’d be wasting our time trying to put on enough glycol to make it off the ground, went back to the motel and availed ourselves of the local comestibles until conditions improved.

For the last few years, I’ve gone into Winner (KICR) which isn’t too far away, has heated hangars in good supply, and has both de-ice and Anti-ice capabilities.

Last edited by 421dog; 19th Dec 2019 at 03:53.