PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures Mk II
Old 18th Dec 2019, 17:33
jimtx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by medod

This is my basic understanding too. However I think it might be the case that without MCAS, the MAX could not be certified today because of its pitch instability at high AoA. The MAX can’t be certified, anywhere, so long as it is dependent on AoA sensors for pitch stability in parts of the envelope, and only has two. To be certified, it has to have three. Yes I’m sure you could code laws to figure out which sensor is lying and which isn’t by comparison with the AHRS or whatever but no-one will certify that.

So the MAX will never fly again in commercial operation until it gets a third AoA sensor, the necessary flight control system to use three, and recertification. That’s a couple of years, at least. Heck, it might even be that it just can’t be certified. An Airbus in Direct Law is still certified...
What pitch instability? It's just a nonlinear control response which might or might not affect the pilot. It apparently does not affect the autopilot although maybe MCAS is not needed for the autopilot because the autopilot is not capable of entering the flight regime which Boeing is keeping to itself.