PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Subjects for CPL Jobs
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2019, 07:26
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Office Update
rudestuff, have a closer look and quote some numbers please. There is a possibility you may have crossed wires.
I personally know of three people whom fly a multi crew jet over 12,500 lbs (5,700kg) with PPL licences in the UK. The only requirement for the PPL holders is that they must pass the ATPL "flight test". Of course they are limited to Private operations.
This thread is nothing to do with EASA, so I'm not particularly keen to hijack it with irrelevant stuff as so often happens, however here are the rules copied directly from the CAA website:

Applicants for the first type rating course for a multi-pilot aeroplane must be a student pilot currently undergoing training on an MPL training course or comply with the following requirements:
  • have at least 70 hours of flight experience as PIC on aeroplanes;
  • hold a multi-engine IR(A);
  • have passed the ATPL(A) theoretical knowledge examinations in accordance with this Part;
    and except when the type rating course is combined with an MCC course:
  • hold a certificate of satisfactory completion of an MCC course in aeroplanes; or
  • hold a certificate of satisfactory completion of MCC in helicopters and have more than 100 hours of flight experience as a pilot on multi-pilot helicopters; or
  • have at least 500 hours as a pilot on multi-pilot helicopters; or
  • have at least 500 hours as a pilot in multi-pilot operations on single- pilot multi-engine aeroplanes, in commercial air transport in accordance with the applicable air operations requirements.
Currently the only way for a PPL to fly a multi crew aircraft in the UK is for them to have an IR, MCC and passed the ATPL exams. I suspect your the friends have held those privileges since before the current system.

The relevance to this thread? I was suggesting that maybe there was now a similar rule down under.