PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tax liable - all crews flying to the US?
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2019, 14:25
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I observed earlier:

Originally Posted by Airbubba
Just ask any pilot if you want tax advice.

Originally Posted by Pearly White
Unless you're paid in the US, it's hard to see how you could be taxed there. And if you're being taxed in your base jurisdiction (say HKG) you wouldn't be liable to pay tax again on the same earnings in some other jurisdiction.
Originally Posted by Paul852
As Airbubba says, these are both incredibly naive assumptions. The first is completely wrong (I was paid for several years in the UK but taxed in HK, for example). And the second assumes a comprehensive avoidance of double taxation agreement between the jurisdictions concerned (which is far from a given), and your citizenship not being one that taxes on that basis rather than on residence.
Originally Posted by marchino61
For some reason, Hong Kong has no double taxation treaty with the USA, even though it has treaties with many other countries.

You can be taxed pro-rata on how much working time you spend in country, as a non-resident.
Originally Posted by UltraFan
I've never heard of any foreign airline employees having to pay taxes in the US. Or anywhere for that matter, other than their country of residence. They cannot be considered residents because they come on a D-1 or D-2 visa.
Originally Posted by OLVpilot
Unless you are a US Citizen, Green Card Holder, or have a work visa (not a B1/B2 & Crew Visa), you do not owe US Taxes. Period. Work Visa residing the in the United States that is.
Originally Posted by homonculus
If you are not US tax resident you dont pay tax UNLESS the IRS has changed their interpretation of the tax code or the tax code has been changed by Congress. It would be sensible to seek advice whether this has happened from a US CPA as opposed to taking advice, including mine, on Pprune
Originally Posted by homonculus
I know nothing about this, but page 13 of the document seems to suggest tax is due.......As I said in another post, this is an IRS issue, nothing to do with your employer, but you need advice from a US CPA not armchair accountants on Pprune
Originally Posted by Harry Callahan
You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?