PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow-2
Thread: Heathrow-2
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2019, 11:14
Navpi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"As C London is Labour territory to a large extent why spend the cash there? Cancel R3 and defer HST2 - that's what the suburbs and the county set want"

I honestly don't think they will cancel Rw3 but I can see an element of stalemate creeping in with reference to the support infrastructure.

I agree with the emphasis now on the North the Tories if they are clever could actually wipe Labour out totally.

Over the week end the Sunday Papers were highlighting £100bn available for transport infrastructure spend over the next 5 years, they stated and I quote The Sunday Times that £20bn is ALREADY earmarked for HS2, roads, potholes, and flood defence, leaving a balance of £80bn specifically for Transport For the North who just happen to have wish list that also came to £79bn. Coincidence?

What was conspicuous was zero money for Heathrow???

Having given LHR the go ahead I cannot see them bringing a decision back to Parliament although i wouldn't bet against it if Boris was so minded. As I said previously there is an excuse with so many new MPs, but what they could do is of course suggest "there you go , you have the go ahead already but its all fully funded by you".

HAL of course will not accept that and then it becomes brinkmanship in terms of the Government tieing themselves in knots. If you follow the Grayilng line I suspect many senior MPs took him at his word and didn't read the ANPS report, they assumed they would not have to stump up any government money and you would simply plonk another runway in without realising it needs massive investment beyond the runway and terminal to make it work !

Last edited by Navpi; 16th Dec 2019 at 11:51.