PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Opinion on Gieves
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2019, 08:54
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
heights good:

For your further delectation now that you are seated comfortably here is a follow-up to the SD hat saga. It went something like this:

It will come as no surprise to learn that our hero's room soon became the focal point of the Stn Cmdr's itinerary on a Saturday morning. Cleaners were hired (bribed) and it was soon immaculate so that no fault could come from that direction. A couple of weeks later, the great man visited while our hero was in residence. No fault could be found until his eyes lit upon the calendar hanging on the wall.

"That will have to go".

Our hero is puzzled for it was a perfectly ordinary calendar and did not feature ladies in risque poses or anything else likely to be offensive

"I'm puzzled Sir. What exactly is wrong with it?"

"It is what is vulgarly known as a 'gnomie calender' (Tourex date ringed and every day that passes by is crossed out heading towards the 'going home' date). It is very bad for the airmens' morale."

Our hero tried to point out that the airmen didn't exactly tramp through his room on the way to breakfast but finally agreed that it would go. Fast forward two weeks and our hero is actually in bed having not got back from his previous trip until 0300. The great man arrives and there on the wall is the same calendar with another 14 days crossed out.

"I thought I told you to get that thing removed?"

"You did Sir and I understood everything you said but you must realise that that is not MY Tourex date, it's YOURS!"

The PMC later said that he had the utmost difficulty in suppressing a huge guffaw.

Our hero had reckoned that he was reasonably safe for he was due to be repatriated that evening on a VC10 back to UK to go on terminal leave before leaving the RAF and then to start work on 707s for a UK airline. Then tragedy struck. The VC10 went tech so a safe house had to be found quickly downtown. He was smuggled out of Aden early next morning in one of our own aircraft up to Bahrain where he then cadged a lift back home on a Britannia to Lyneham.

Last edited by JW411; 16th Dec 2019 at 15:14.