PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Admiral Kuznetsov on fire
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2019, 20:59
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fonsini
There is a degree of false equivalence here - while HM armed forces have ................ There still seems to be this mindset that the Russians are really “just like us” - when in fact they are nothing like us.
Joking aside ... absolutely Fonsini - and not just in the Armed Forces. The whole ethos goes right back to the situation found in the latter stages of Imperial Russia through into the post-Revolutionary Leninist, and particularly, Stalinist eras which shaped socio-industrial priorities in the then Soviet Union. Even today, one only has to look at Putins background and his current military build-up to see that, within the somewhat limiting economic constraints still faced, similar prioritisation still seems to be an important factor to achieve the end goal, whatever that happens to be.

As we have seen so clearly demonstrated in so many areas of the world which have rapidly changed/been changed, in very many cases the underlying ethoses are harder to shake off or reposition, the change being more of a rapidly applied veneer over a fundamental, deeply-rooted and slow-changing core. And sometimes the glue fixing the veneer in place is patchy at best. Well, that’s how I see it as a simple soul based on my take of the many changes I’ve seen in 6 decades.

I could also go on about the Origins of the Universe and other such topics but I suspect H 'n' H has bored you all enough...