PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Re-joiners be aware
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2019, 19:24
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by gijoe

Er....wrong. There is no way you will carry on receiving an AFPS75 IP on rejoin - no way.

I really can’t be arse’d arguing any more.

Complete and utter hoop!!

If you retired at an immediate pension point (IPP) on AFPS75 then you will have a pension in payment. You used to, before Apr 05, have to leave for up to 31 days before you re-joined, but after that date the AFPS75 pension scheme closed. So you join the very next day. If you are on AFPS75/05 the same applies but you can’t keep the AFPS05 EDP portion as that is always 100% abated. If you are on AFPS75/15 then you have to leave for 30 days or they will link service. There are also some oddities around transitional protection (all in the link below). Now, if you left at a higher rank than the one that you re-joined at then you will keep the difference between the 2 salaries in pension with the pension being abated accordingly. If you left some time ago and then rejoined at the same rank, then because inflation has been going up faster than the AFPRB pay rises over the past 9 years or so, then you could also keep a part of the pension. Further, if re-join as FTRS then the difference between Regular full-time X-Factor (14.5%) and Limited Commitment (5%) or Home Commitment (0%) can also see individuals keeping parts of their AFPS75 pension. Finally, if you left as PAS and then re-join at the same rank on Career Spine then you keep a lot of your AFPS75 pension plus you get up to £20k of RRP(F) on top as it’s not abated. I know of ex-Level 35 PAS Sqn Ldrs that have rejoined and their combined pay is £63k (basic pay), they keep £23k of their AFPS75 and then get £20k of RRP(F) Tier 2 Level 6 - total £106k per year and they are earning a new AFPS15 pension too.

It’s all in MMP116 if you don’t believe it: https://assets.publishing.service.go...ssible__2_.pdf

I know this works as I’ve left, and rejoined, with an AFPS75 in payment. I now keep about £6,000 of the pension (the rest is abated) having come back to the same rank after 6 years. The abatement will come off, and it will be index-linked, when I finally retire at age 60 and also an extra AFPS15 pension will also be paid. So be a good chap and don’t spread fake news, will you?