PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Re-joiners be aware
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2019, 11:34
Jambo Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alfred_the_great
Thanks. I presume whilst the pension is abated, you are also accruing new pension as well - i.e. when you were leave again, your new pension would be higher?
If you re-join with a 75 pension in payment then you keep it (if it is abated it will return to full value when you retire for the second time) and you start a brand new pension on 15 terms from the day you re-join. This new pension will, if you serve to 60, be a brand new pension to add to your 75 one. If you leave before 60 (even by a couple of weeks) then your second pension doesn't get paid to you until state pension age.

This latter point will be of interest to those who re-joined on 05 second pension terms and who then were forced onto 15 under the NEM, and the associated NEM alignment offer. They needed to serve to 60 to realise the 15 portion of their new pension. Now that the Government have said that all discriminated against AFPS members will revert back to the scheme they were on before 1 Apr 2015 then they can leave at age 55 with a full second AFPS05 pension at age 55. I guess they will have to PVR at 55 though as they have signed on to MEOS 60 by the NEM offer, but when they do they will receive a second pension at 55. Be interesting to see if all those re-joiners leave at 55 or stay on until 60!

Most re-joiners on PAS terms will be much worse off with this reversion to 05, albeit they will be able to claim their second pension 5 years earlier than planned. 55 is young enough to spend 10 years doing something else if they were that way inclined!