PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2019, 10:54
stewyb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rog747
Ladies and Gentlemen - Straight from the horse's mouth - SOU airport posted on their Facebook this morning -

Quote:
Another great reason to #LoveSouthamptonAirport
An extra bit of runway won't mean larger aircraft, it will simply enable airline operators to use their planes more efficiently, which would spell out more exciting destinations for business and pleasure!
Show your support for SOU by visiting http://bit.ly/35mrZ3f and leaving a comment.
We won't operate any larger or nosier aircraft than we do now....Extra runway will simply allow us to use existing size aircraft so you can fly further to more destinations.
- Unquote

So it seems there you have it.
I think this gives a much clearer picture as to what SOU is at last hopeful to be working to and as to which airlines they may seek to come to SOU.

Existing A319/A320, maybe the A320Neo too? will hopefully be able to operate economically to say - Malaga, Faro, and possibly Greece and the Canaries with a workable payload, without the need for a Tech stop under normal conditions.
(Have we had a Neo in yet on the GVA?)
Be minded that EZY are disposing of their A319's in due course.

IMHO I doubt we will see the Boeing 737-800NG, 737M -8 200, 737M -8 or 9 or 10, nor any A321 size aircraft at SOU.
These leaves Ryanair and Jet2 both out of the frame, together with TUI, & say Enter Air and Smartwings who both operate IT charters for UK Tour Operators.

The 737-700 or 737M - 7 (149 or 172 pax) could be ideal but the -700 is too old now, and the new MAX-7 is still grounded, and no one has ordered it in Europe...

(link is the PPA to the Council)

I have purposefully left out Flybe (Virgin Connect) here as we have no idea as to their fleet (and new aircraft procurement) and their business plans for SOU, either for leisure/sun/ski, or businessman flights.
320N is yet to use SOU. I personally believe Rog that the orange lot are being lined up once extension works are hopefully complete. SEN announced both EZY and RYR bases in the June for the following April summer season start, which coincidently is when SOU hope to commence new runway operations (S21). Does this mean we might see an announcement mid next year? Lets keep fingers crossed!