PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Ministry stop watch query
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2019, 21:45
India Four Two

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts
I was intrigued by the 0-360 scale but couldn't imagine how this scale would be of use to a navigator.

After some searching, I found another entry on Worthpoint:

ww2 raf bundle - stopwatch,photo and service book - all found in the same sack so the assumption these are all linked. The stopwatch is an air ministry bomber cockpit watch by smiths - rear is engraved - A.M. 6B/221 faded date below is 1943 - designed to be '' fixed in an aperture of the instrument panel of the cockpit - allowing the pilot to monitor his flight without constant reference to the navigator.The timer also acted as a back up to a number of instruments in the event of them being put out of action - assisted by the 360 degree graduations around the dial; or a fuel management system. (from "A Concise Guide to Military Timepieces 1880-1990" by Z. M. Wesolowski)
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...iths-308582907

Even as a pilot's watch, I still have difficulty understanding how the 0-360 scale would help the pilot, or act as a backup for failed instruments. If it was to be used to make timed heading changes, a 0-180 scale would make more sense, assuming Rate 1 turns.

Anyone got Wesolowski's book? I looked it up and it's out of my price range!