PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Opinion on Gieves
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2019, 17:07
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I might be allowed a bit of thread drift, here is a great SD hat story. Aden 1966. Station Commander had a very strange habit of inspecting some officers' rooms in the Mess on a Saturday morning (your room is your castle?) complete with PMC and SWO man. One of my mates (who was a professional extrovert) gets back from a trip on Saturday evening and finds a note that he is to report to Station Commander at 0900 on Monday morning.

He gets back to his room and finds that his "operational" SD hat (covered in hydraulic oil with a green badge) is missing. The grapevine tells him that the Stn Cdr has visited his room in his absence, found said hat and told the SWO man to take it away and burn it.

Monday morning dawns and it went like this; friend arrives in his very best uniform at 0900 and is put in front of the great man who is saluted very smartly and before he can even open his mouth:

"Good morning Sir. I am really glad that you sent for me this morning for I was going to have to come to see you anyway on a matter of some urgency."

"Really" says puzzled Stn Cdr.

"It seems that for some reason or other that you saw fit to visit my room in my absence on Saturday and my father's hat is missing. Can I have it back please?"

"Yours father's hat?"

"Yes Sir. He was shot down during the Battle of Britain in his Hurricane and was killed. They found his SD hat in the crater and my mother gave it to me for safe keeping. Can I have it back please?"

Of course, said SD hat had been burned by the SWO man so any possible evidence had gone. Friend suggested that an abject apology in writing to mother would be in order.

That wasn't entirely the end of the vendetta and great amusement was yet to come. Sorry for the thread drift.