PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B377-800 rotation
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2019, 14:59
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingStone
That's a very poor advice and not even remotely in line with the FCTM, which suggests smooth continuous rotation towards target pitch attitude is the way to do it.

Stopping rotation at deadband has at least two negative effects. First, your obstacle clearance could be less than optimum if a donkey quits. Second, on tyre speed limited departure you can easily achieve GS in excess of tyre speed limit, since the aircraft continues acceleration on the ground instead of rotating and lifting off.

I say stick to what instructors and FCTM say, but that's just me.
You're correct. The manual uses 10 degrees of target pitch for the TO/GA line. Correct my statement from "8 degrees" and "7.5 mark on the ADI" to 10 degrees for the TO/GA and pitch mark. It's been 8-10 years since I flew the 737/800. The fact is trying to 'make it fly' if your pitch is at the TO/GA mark (10 degrees) continuing to rotate while the aircraft is still on the ground is an invitation for a tail strike.

Here's what the manual says - Rotate at 2° to 3° per second (approximately 4 seconds to reach TO/GA line in HUD or 10° pitch line in PFD). At VR. Rotate to put the aircraft reference symbol (boresight) in the TO/GA line gap. Caution If pitch exceeds the TO/GA line, the chance of a tailstrike is increased. The TO/GA line remains at +10° until 10 ft RA, and then rates up at 2° per second to match the PFD FD. Keeping the aircraft reference symbol in the TO/GA line gap is identical to flying the PFD FD.

And - Rotate at 2° to 3° per second (approximately 4 seconds to reach TO/GA line in HUD or 10° pitch line in PFD).

It's not a great feeling having to get into the charts and comparing 'tail strike struts compressed' vs 'tail strike struts extended' data. Been there done, done that. New FO in type and in his previous jet it was almost impossible to get a tail strike (<12 degrees??). His rotation rate was faster than recommended in longer fuselage aircraft. Who's tracking 2.5 vs 3 degrees per second? No one. Based on that I'm a fan of pausing at specific pitch attitudes if you're still on the ground. Longer jets get down to 9.5, 10, or 11 degrees for a tail strike risk and the risk of a tail strike is higher. Personally I'm in favor of a pause if the plane won't fly at the recommended pitch attitude.