PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wiltshire Air Ambulance more woes.
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2019, 13:24
homonculus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CAA is a part of the civil service. Some of its employees are jolly nice people but the oganisation is bureaucratic, expensive and has no mandate to support or help aviation. IMHO the worst aspect is its refusal to change even when it admits its facts are outdated.

Having worked an AOC for medical use I am well aware the CAA considers the patient to be a fare paying passenger, but it has no interest in them otherwise and increases their risk by some of its intransigence.

So no I wouldnt agree they are a top class regulator. Indeed I dont see how you can judge a monopoly. That said the company involved seems to have burnt through money. I am well known for my views that a fundamental part of the NHS should be funded by the NHS and audited to ensure it is necessary and provides value for money - an analysis that needs to be regularly repeated as medicine and the country's ability to pay changes. However, whilst this suboptimal charitable basis continues without any audit or oversight of efficacy it is important that the trustees and management are held to account. They are of course welcome to respond.