PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAE / AVRO 146
Thread: BAE / AVRO 146
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2019, 00:07
WHBM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I used them extensively from London City when they were the main jet type here. Never had a single tech issue I can recall in more than 25 years operation. And you can still see them here, Aer Lingus-liveried Avros still operate to Dublin, provided by Cityjet. I always look up to see one pass.

For those who go on about poor power performance, for a long time no other jet was able to make the takeoff from the short runway here at LCY, and their initial climb performance to the 3,000ft initial level off was and is no different to the more recent types. Spool up against the brakes, and when you let go they are off like a rocket. They are notably quieter than the comparably sized, next-generation Embraer 190. They were, of course, by quite a substantial margin, the best selling British jet airliner of all time.

The much-admired main gear I understand is based very much in design on what was done on the Comet 4, from the same drawing office a generation before.

The flap movement noise always seems to be a fascination (see above) though I never saw anyone distressed by it or even particularly comment on it. Apparently it was a considerable surprise on the first test flight, it had not been apparent in the wind tunnel. A modification was devised which however was the weight of two passengers, so no takers apart from, I understand, the two early aircraft supplied to the Royal Flight. I believe it's an airflow harmonic between the flap inside edge and the fuselage. For westerly departures from LCY, which all turn downwind passing Canary Wharf at the 3,000ft, the noise is quite audible from Stratford station platform down below as the aircraft completes the turn above you and cleans up.

Last edited by WHBM; 14th Dec 2019 at 00:20.