PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afghanistan and released American documents
Old 13th Dec 2019, 23:23
BVRAAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oicur12.again
“I think you should avoid lecturing someone like SASless on the ethics of warfare until you’ve actually ‘got some time in’ yourself.”

The great diversionary tactic, you haven't done it so you are not entitled to an opinion about it.

Fortunately the world doesn't actually operate according to this absurd dictum.
Thank you - and also rather ironic given that it's very likely all candidates going through Officer selection in the Pilot branch, will be asked a question about their views on killing.

I have no moral objection to killing in self defence or in war, provided the right person/people are killed for the right reasons, within the rules of engagement and the law of armed conflict, to achieve the objectives of the mission, whilst using the minimum amount of force required.
Those individuals were a part of a team, they might be professionals on the other side, or they might be religious nuts - either way, they knew the risk of what they were doing and they accepted it.
The civilians caught in the crossfire of some mad man, who wants to kill everything until nothing's left, did not accept to be in that position. I therefore maintain my position that SASless' comments demonstrate a lack of compassion for the innocent.