PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Opinion on Gieves
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2019, 15:27
mabmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With reference to Timelord's post, the service at Gieves was always excellent. In the mid-seventies I was based in London and used to pop in to 1 Saville Row occasionally for bits of uniform. In those days I was generally dressed in a tie and jacket. I used to be greeted at the front door and left on my own to walk upstairs to the military section where the staff couldn't have been more helpful. However I had taken to commute on a motorbike and on one occasion I made the mistake of having the temerity to go in wearing bike leathers and carrying a crash helmet. I was intercepted at the front door and was met with a very curt "Can I help you sir", with a great deal of sarcasm on the "sir". "That's alright", I replied, "I'm just going to the military department". I started to go upstairs as usual but the doorman insisted on going with me. Once I reached the department I was reduced to showing my ID card to identify myself as a bona fide officer. At which point everything changed and the staff become so helpful it could only be described as obsequious. I felt like advising them that they shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I refrained from doing so and just smiled inside at the similarity to "Are you being served".