PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afghanistan and released American documents
Old 12th Dec 2019, 23:15
BVRAAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by etudiant
Your sentiments seem seriously at variance with the way the government policy is determined, in the UK, in Europe or in NATO.
Libya was by far the fastest growing economy in Africa and Syria was a functioning multi religious state when NATO, France and the UK decided that Qaddafi and Assad had to go and unleashed the killing. The result has been a series of catastrophes, one of which was the massive flight of refugees now stressing Europe.
Those decisions were not made with any perceptible moral compass. Demanding that the military execute the resultant immoral policies morally is at best self deluded, it is impossible.
I once had the same moral opinion as our government of that time, with regards to Libya. I no longer share that moral opinion - I can't imagine many people in the military do either?
The liberals will still praise Barack Obama as some kind of moral hero, when the evidence suggests otherwise. Good point.

We, and I say 'we' as an international alliance, need to step our game up. This isn't sustainable.