PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mt Erebus Disaster 40th Anniversary
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2019, 21:44
tartare

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
This thread brings back a lot of memories.
I was 14 years old on that night, and vividly remember TV newsreader Bill McCarthy announcing the plane was overdue.
Years later, a colleague who was a TV reporter at the time spoke of drinking in the Christchurch Media Club with a mate from Air NZ that evening.
The bartender yelled out to his mate that there was a call for him.
The friend came back white as a sheet and said "I've got to go..." and ran out leaving his beer.
As a TV reporter in the 90s, I met some of the news people who were in the pool who went down to the Ice.
Also spoke to Ron Chippendale on many occasions.
In 2004, I sat in a one on one with Ralph Norris in his office as a final step in getting my job with Air NZ.
"Sooner or later, someone will get in your ear about Erebus," he said. He was right.
The pain was still visceral.
Norm Thompson told me that the poor chap who was responsible for the INS programming error was dead - I seem to remember him saying he committed suicide?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if Jim Collins was below MSA - how can he be blamed when there was sector whiteout ahead of him - in essence he would have though it was clear - so would have been practising good airmanship?
The INS programming error compounded that assumption.
From what I understand many flights prior had descended below MSA in CAVOK conditions - promotional brochures from Air NZ at the time have photos from aircraft showing terrain through the windows.
Classic example of the holes in the cheese lining up - with a dreadful outcome.

Last edited by tartare; 12th Dec 2019 at 21:55.