PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Funny things Flight Manuals say
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2019, 07:12
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Over my many years of involvement with gliding, I've had to decipher poor English translations of Flight Manuals from Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Romania and Germany, but eventually i was able to get the gist of the text.

A couple of years ago I had my first exposure to the manual for the DG1000 high-performance two-seater. This glider has a slot in the fin, where you can install up to 12 Kg of factory weights, to ensure that the CG stays within limits for various pilot weights. The manual is better written than older German glider manuals, but the sections that relate to CG calculations are particularly difficult to understand. These sections conflate hard loading-limits with "advice" about weight distribution, which seems to be aimed at keeping the loaded CG away from the certificated limits.

Based upon my previous experience of poor translations into English, I thought "Aha, I'll have a look at the original German manual," So after downloading it and resurrecting my grammar-school German, combined with an online dictionary, I was disappointed to discover that the German manual is equally incomprehensible!