PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What chance I got?
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2019, 21:56
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Meh- could be tomorrow. Heck, could be today! What, you want to live forever? Then choose another profession. Dying in a helicopter is something that we who do it for a living simply don't think about...because if you do think about it too much, you'd have to quit. At least, I would. It would drive me crazy. No, I prefer to concentrate on staying alive in a helicopter. That's a much more positive thing to focus on, I believe. And you know, a lot of it is simply out of our control.

If you've been doing this for as long as you say, you've undoubtedly had some very close calls. We all have. And we all go through periods of depression and (ahem) introspection, especially when we see a guy with so much more experience than us having a fatal. Sometimes it hits us pretty hard. And we get to wondering, "When is it going to be my turn?" But again, you have to shrug those feelings off and continue to punch the button. It'll happen...or not...whenever. And if it does? I'm cool with that. I knew the risks when I signed up.

You did too.