PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF as a short-term career?
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2019, 21:24
tarantonight

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Godwinson324
Hello all!

Although, I have a career choice in mind after university, I heard that a few of the graduates of my school went into a short military career (a few years) before settling down with a job in the city.
I am currently a cadet in the RAF Cadet Force in the school and certainly been enjoying it. I was also lucky enough to get into one of those 'chipmunk trainers' at RAF Benson as a part of a RAF cadet force trip earlier and got to fly over Oxfordshire. I don't intend to pursue a life-long career in the RAF but I am very interested in seeing some kind of military service for a few years. (maybe 1-5?) I had a look at Intelligence Corps, Royal Navy and etc but I suppose I have already had a taster in the RAF through school - not to say that the school RAF is anything like the 'real deal'...

Do you think it is a good idea for me to serve in the RAF for a few years or should I not bother at all? I am interested to hear opinions.
Mate - I am guessing you are not yet 18 from what you have said and your whole life is ahead of you. Also, considering of course this is a genuine enquiry.

I am not going to preach or criticise, but if you were my son I would advise you to consider long term what you want to do. My opinion is that you should not use the military as a stepping stone - you either want that type of career, or you don’t. Individuals from a privileged background (I say this generally, it may not fit you), whe hold a Commission for a few years before that lucrative job in the City don’t do it for me. The cost of training people is ever increasing and has never been cheap.

The Military (and Emergency Services) need round pegs in round holes. Just my opinion, but you did ask.

Others may have a different view.

TN.