PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Giving Govt. property a good home.
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2019, 09:50
olddog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the RAF were getting set to leave Malta in 1978, my wife and I were lving in a MOD furnished hiring. We accepted the offer of being able to purchase most of the furniture and equipment. Transport to the UK was in a shared container on a RFA bound for Pompey. This included the contents of Lounge, Dining Room and 3 Bedrooms including carpets and curtains, as well as crockery and kitchen equipment. We nearly got away with the 8 settings of siver plate cutlery but OC supply said that wasn't for sale. I wonder if that made it back to the UK? As I recall, the purchase, packing and delivery to our rented home near RAF Kinloss cost a little over £1500! There was minor damage en route but this was covered by insurance. As we had never owned or furnished a house we thought this an absolute bargain! An oak chest of drawers, the drinks trolley and card table are still in the house after 40 years and several moves, and bedroom dressing tables do stalwart service in the garage and Mrs Olddog's crafting room. I think the oldest artifact in daily use is a MOD marked saucepan dated 1965!