PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAE / AVRO 146
Thread: BAE / AVRO 146
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2019, 05:59
Corrosion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by safetypee
halas,

Q pot. Q is the aero abbreviation for dynamic pressure which is used to adjust control feel. The rudder ‘fir tree’ wasn’t directly associated with feel, more rudder / fin strength, but still speed related. It was rumoured that the Q pot design (and build) was the same as used in the Comet.

‘Tri Wing’ screws; new at the time, cheaper, stronger than cross head, lighter than slotted head.
About Q pot, don't know how it looks on Comet but at least that big and fat pitot tube for Q pot is very similar with Comet unit. Also, if remember correctly, that OAT probe is very similar with Comet... you remember that odd curved thin metal pin on LH side of the nose. Very often this probe get loose and it just hangs downwards instead fwd. Lower doors handles, cargo/equipments bays, are at least very similar with older british designed aircraft. I am talking about these circularbody handles, which very often hangs because springs are dead. Ah, this brings that sound to my mind when you close the door... thumb(when door pulled closed, then mechanical klonk when handle turned and shoot bolts engages, finally "KLIK" when handle released and it retracts.. (if springs works)

Screws, tri-wing is not that bad at all. I would say that basic slotted head screws should be banned from use everywhere... doesn't matter is it tri- or four- wing or regular phillips / pozidriv they all are better than slotted heads. Only problems is, you need correct tooling, but why should anyone without proper equipment touch anywhere.

This thread brings loads of good, and not so good, memories from interesting years. Relatively small airline with fleet of totally 11 of these tempremental birds, good/quite enthuastic group of guys work with, flight/cabin department good, company did everything in house except C-check:s...
Nowadays working with EXTREMELY boring 737CL/NG and Airbuses, these scentless-bland-bulk aircrafts not ringing any of the bells in my head. Offcourse life is bit easier, but boring.