PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff-2
Thread: Cardiff-2
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2019, 18:02
PDXCWL45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed a few interesting numbers in the article linked below about the Qatar Airways route at CWL. I've highlighted what i feel are key points.
From May to October 2019 the route saw 50,000 passengers use it which was an increase of 6,000 up 13.5% on 2018.
The split of passengers is 52% originating from the UK and 48% are visitors, also 18% of the UK passengers are from England, for the airport as a whole 4% of it's passengers are from England.
11% of the passengers use the route for Business and 89% for leisure.
The most popular final destinations from Cardiff are Doha 11%, Bangkok 10%, Perth and Sydney 6%, Bali 4% and Kuwait, Lahore, Kuala Lumpur and Amristar all at 3% and Auckland 2%.
Inbound the route is attracting more numbers especially from Qatar and also Oman and Kuwait.
It was noted that the route isn't maximising it's freight potential especially outbound and that the popularity of Thailand could be exploited more especially in the winter and that there was a good opportunity for Wales fans travelling to New Zealand in the summer to use the route.
With the route 18 months old the figures are encouraging that the route is maturing well compared to Birmingham and is on track for it's 4 year maturity level. The question then will be whether Qatar deploy bigger aircraft or add frequency if the route gets to the maturity level needed.
https://www.business-live.co.uk/econ...r9YjQMqS4Hw_2A