PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2019, 17:58
Underdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heisenb3rg
If anyone if privy to knowledge of part time work at BA, could you pm me? Specifically interested in how many extra days off per month you see Vs. the obvious cut in salary, and if it’s worth it or not! Cheers!
If you are junior - then Part-Time is the only way to have a semblance of family life - it will (if on a Right To Request contract) guarantee you a weekend at home once a month.

In theory, you will work (on a 75% contract) just 75% as hard as a full-timer - but that's not quite true, as anyone senior on a fleet, can pretty much write their own roster and effectively spend as little, or less, time at work than a junior guy on a 75% roster. (Legal action is being considered by a band of RTR part-timers over this - whether that amounts to anything is anyone's guess)!

Moving to a 75% contract costs around a 16% reduction in take-home salary, if paying UK tax - so from that point of view, is well worth it.

....and then there's JSS and the MBTR (Minimum Base TurnRound) thing mentioned above, where the system can use your part-time (unpaid) days to satisfy the legal rest requirements - which other airlines, and even our cabin crew on part-time contracts, don't suffer from!

75% RTR (1 week off in 4) is just one of 4 major part-time contracts; the others being 50% RTR (2 weeks off in 4), 72% APTW (Aspirational Part Time Working) - 1 month off every 3 (a small amount of work has to be done within your month 'off' to satisfy recency etc.), and 58% APTW (month on, month off). There are a couple of minor PT options for those that have been refused access to one of the major contracts - one of which is 85%, but no fixed days off - and one other that I can't remember. I don't know anyone that has taken up these minor versions, though I guess someone must have by now!