PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cargo Jet makes a 360 at 100’
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2019, 06:39
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We could open a separate thread on autolands, especially those done on CAVOK or CAT1 ( like the SIA above) where the ILS signal is not protected . I understand some airlines having ordered the Max were considering making autoland mandatory on that type regardless of Wx conditions to save on engines and tyres..Maybe now their confidence in Boeing electronics driving the flight controls might have eroded somewhat those plans.

Back to flying an airliner at 100ft, , since w are sharing old stories, I went to Narssasuaq a few times in the early 90s where the easiest route from Europe was Icelandair which used a good old 727-100 to do that , as if I remember correctly (waiting to be corrected) that type could take up to 35 Kts tail wind. which was a bonus since there is a glacier at the end of the fjord making mandatory landings and take off in opposite directions.
On clear Summer days one of the thrills of that flight was getting down to 500ft above the ice , looking for the glacier entrance and go down to 100-200 ft in the valley for about 20 NM, overfly the runway, teardrop over the fjord and land on the numbers. The pax loved it and complained when it could not be done . The only drawback was hearing the constant bells and other Woops woops in the cabin , since the cockpit door was wide open in those days .