PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mt Erebus Disaster 40th Anniversary
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2019, 00:54
Pickuptruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3 Holer
I shall not waste bandwidth with a single reply to your question as I have made myself clear on this subject many times on this forum. Search "Erebus 25 years on" and this present thread and you will have your answer.
The Honourable Peter Mahon was a man of wide experience in the judicial system, and one of high intelligence and competence. He conceded he was far from an established expert in any of the technical and operational matters of the subject investigation, however, he applied his searching intellect, enormous integrity and great legal and judicial experience, to mastering an appreciation of even the smallest details of his tenure. For these reasons, I aligned myself with his cause of the disaster very early after the release of his report in the early eighties.

I can only suggest you read the Mahon Report thoroughly, without prejudice and you will see why I made my conclusion.

I look forward to hearing from Porter on this forum when he convenes the new Inquiry into the Erebus crash. I would like a ringside seat for those proceedings as they have the potential (used loosely) to change the course of legal history in New Zealand.
Chippendale mentioned all the casual factors as an accident investigator should. Whiteout and navigation were amongst them. But primary cause was Collins decision to ditch SOP for the Erebus flights and knowingly descend the aircraft below MSA. He is paid to operate the aircraft within the SOP that the Air NZ AOC relates to.

He didn’t and from this lessons have been learnt. Mahon knew nothing of aviation and it is a joke to state he could pick up a lifetime of experience in a matter of months.