PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life Vest / Survival Gear Discussion...
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2003, 01:27
RDRickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Life Vest / Survival Gear Discussion...

Looks like I'll be spending more time over bay areas and intercoastal waterways. So, I'm putting together a life vest / survival gear package (just in case). Now, I won't be doing any long distance flights like you GOM and North Sea pilots; nevertheless, I'm trying to put something together for the long term that works. Below, I've listed the items that I've recently purchased (so far). What I'd really like to know is what you folks use for your lifevest and on-person suvival gear?

By the way, I have NO affiliation with any of these companies. Names have been removed...

HV-35C Spec-Ops Vest
(Improved Version of Helicopter Crew Vest)

HEED III
(Helicopter Emergency Egress Device w/ Refill Adapter. This particular model fits in the holster of the Crew Vest shown above).

GyPSI EPIRB
(406 Mhz Satellite, 121.5 Homing, Data Cables to Upload GPS Data)

Firefly 2

Rescue Laser Flare Magnum
(Provides a beacon that is easily seen at night or in limited visibility).

See-Rescue Streamer
(I'm getting the Mil-Spec version w/ Retro Reflective Material. These small units come in many sizes, but I'm getting the 6" x 40' version. They float on water and stay unrolled.)

I'll probably use Lithium batteries instead of alkaline, and I have yet to put together a small waterproof survival kit (mirror, whistle, knife, fire, etc). On the vest itself, I plan to put a seat belt cutter attached with a retractable cord (just in case). I'm still researching small flashlights and pyrotechnics. In fact, I'm not so sure pyrotechnics are a good idea in the vest - but I've been told otherwise.

Comments? Any advice from the SAR side of PPRuNe?