PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ Volcano eruption on White Island
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2019, 17:31
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
I suspect that the AS350 in that picture was not flying over the island but was on the ground. You can visit White Island via a boat trip of several hours or via a 30 minute helicopter ride. Both tours leave from the closest town - Whakatane (pronounced with an F).

White Island is described as New Zealand's most active volcano, but the activity is mostly steam from fumaroles and a nearly-boiling crater lake. There are occasional, infrequent explosive discharges of steam and ash (phreatic eruptions) like yesterday's. There has not been eruption of lava in at least 200 years.

When I visited White Island ten years ago, R44s were being used and one was already on the ground when we arrived. The landing area is about 700 m from the active crater lake which is consistent with the location of the AS350 in Nutloose's picture.

Helicopter landing area with the crater in the background:

Fumaroles. The steam is continuously venting with a sound like a large, subterranean steam-engine. A strong sulphur smell in the air:

Crater lake - 90º C and a pH similar to battery acid:

Our pilot/guide returning to the helicopter. We were issued with hard hats and respirators, but I imagine these would not have been much use in yesterday's eruption:

White Island is private land. I suspect that after this accident, the rules may change or it may even be taken over by the government:

Last edited by India Four Two; 9th Dec 2019 at 17:43.