PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Climate Change and YSSY crosswinds?
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2019, 14:28
De_flieger

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by George Glass
I’m vehement about only one point. That the solutions are technical , scientific and economic , not moral.
I agree with that completely, but without the will to put those technical, scientific and economic solutions into place, they'll never happen. Because they're expensive, and often have payoffs much longer than our electoral cycle, and there's a revolving door between politicians and coal lobbyists who have a vested interest in spreading doubt and maintaining the status quo.

So as long as people say "no, we shouldn't do anything because I have a petition of people that say there isn't a problem", there'll be some people, some politicians who dont want to outlay that definite cost to make those solutions. I'd probably call myself something of an environmentalist, despite the vast quantities of jet fuel involved in my industry, and fully support things like pumped hydro and utility scale storage - they've got a financial and environmental cost, but anyone who's flown over the Galilee Basin or Hunter Valley lately can see that so does coal. Scott Morrison even brought a lump of bought and paid for coal into Parliament to try and demonstrate how great it was, to show you where his loyalties lie. The fossil fuel industries donated well over a million dollars to the three main political parties in 2017-2018, that'll dry up pretty quickly if they start talking seriously about reducing the fossil fuel industry or support renewables in their place.