PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Dragon interview.
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2019, 07:41
Klimax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deja vu
Go for it if you are able. If you are lucky enough to get the job and rating you can have an absolute ball in HK.

A couple of things though, first stay away from the whinny malcontent usual suspects. Buy a share in an old junk with some mates and spend your days off out at Rocky Harbour. So many good times to be had and so many good friends to be made. Then maybe after a few years, with a valuable type rating in hand the world is your oyster.
Don't die wondering what if....
THIS is well said. IF you’re a reasonably young single and have no monetary obligations, other than a student loan for flight school etc., Hong Kong can be a blast for a couple of years. Just look at this job as similar to any other type of first flying job in the outback or Africa, only on big boring heavy jets instead of C206s and Caravans. Do sports, go hiking, go play in Wanchai or the clubs, take it as an experience for YOU - don’t worry about the company, they don’t worry about you a single bit. Always plan on leaving within 2-4 years with your type rating and time on type. Cathay Dragon is a dead horse and HK has rapidly lost its sex appeal over the last decade and just look now! I´ve had an awesome time as a single guy in my early thirties, but I also called in sick whenever going to work wasn’t appealing. If you´ve done you homework you’d know by now that taking this clown company serious is not the way to go - then you’re the clown.

On the other hand, IF you’re with a family and dependent children, you’re making a mistake by joining this operation. Hong Kong pollution and the cost of living will make you regret the decision forever. There is nothing good to say about this company.