PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mt Erebus Disaster 40th Anniversary
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2019, 06:53
PapaHotel6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3 Holer
I love the child-like naivety of your suggestion Porter.
Whereas your own child-like, rose tinted messianic view of Mahon report is .........well, not loveable.

Who would you have preside over this investigation? You would never get a public prosecutor because successive governments have already admitted Mahon got it right and has apologised to the victim's families on every anniversary of the accident.
Nonsense. Maurice Williamson, as Minister of Transport "tabled the Mahon report in Parliament". A symbolic gesture that means nothing, and without performing his own detailed analysis, could be considered an abuse of position. Jacinda Ardern said what she did a few days ago; but I would hold the opinions of Donald Trump, Kim Dotcom and my cat in higher regard when it comes to ascribing responsibility for the Erebus disaster. Neither of these equates to "successive governments have already admitted Mahon got it right".

Next problem is what witnesses do you intend to subpoena for the collection of evidence? Most of the bona fide players have either passed away or are no longer interested.
True, and this is a shame. But you could still re-examine the evidence available and any competent observer would conclude that Air New Zealand, Civil Aviation, ALPA, and Jim Collins all committed errors in the absence of which the disaster would not have occurred.