PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United Airlines passenger stung by scorpion during flight
Old 8th Dec 2019, 21:38
tonytales

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
United Airlines passenger stung by scorpion during flight

Something more to think about when flying. Scorpions? Must have been on-board for a couple of legs since the flight came out of SFO. One doesn't usually associate SFO and scorpions.
Not unheard of that some uninvited critters have been on board. I remember reading threads here about snakes and I seem to remember a crocodile too being loose in the cabin.
Back in the mid 1950'2, Trans Caribbean Airlines run by O. Roy Chalk was flying New York to Puerto Rico. There was a mass migration in progress up from the island. Their original DC-4 and DC-6 were replaced by two DC-6B's which were kept busy. I worked for LASI maintenance at KIDL and we met and dispatched all their flights there. I met a late arrival and as the air stairs were put up and door opened there seemed to be a very mad rush to get off the aircraft. The flight attendants were in a hurry too.
Little wonder. One of the pax had brought two paper shopping bags on board and stowed them in the open hat rack bins above the seats. Inside were some frustrated land crabs I suppose he was bringing north for a feast. They are big and ugly with a set of claws to match. Part way on the flight they broke loose and started spilling out onto the heads of the pax below. No bin doors up there in those days.
Luckily it was not a full boat for I imagined there was a stampede out of the affected seats. The FE naturally was tasked with dispatching the invaders. We went up in the cabin and saw the crunched remains of some but they missed on and he came out in the aisle and sidled along aft holding part of an apple core in on one claw. A mechanic's number 12's descended on him.
Pesky but non-threatening were the small chameleons that got on board in SJU. They would change colors to match the wall they were on excepting the metallic gold parts. They couldn't match that.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50701544