PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2019, 12:46
stewyb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dropoffcharge
I think just need to be patient, is probably alot going on behind the scenes right now. If and when the extension gets done pax numbers will increase, remember the whole Virgin Connect thing is still ongoing so am sure when finalised will be new routes and again increasing pax numbers (which will happen prior to the extension) Even with expansion I genuinely think SOU is a very long way off from a LCC though, if at all, due to its existing limitations (operating hours) time will tell, but SOU will start to show growth from S20 onwards I'm certain.
Think we have seen the VS approach to route reductions and doubt SOU will get any additions over and above the already announced ie core UK trunk routes and slimmed down regional France. Therefore the airport cannot rely on VS for passenger growth over the coming months and years and is clearly the main reason to get the extension in place asap. With regards to a LCC, i'm sure they are already discussing with airline/s and will want someone in place for April '21 to back up their growth aspirations so a long way off I don't agree with. Airport operating hours are hardly limiting when considering the possible addition of x 8 A320 arrivals & departures daily that will make up the 1m pax increase and should slot in between a 0630 - 2230 operation without too many issues, that’s only an additional 1 flight in or out per hour to the current schedule although realise that any outside factors such as weather/delays might cause problems!

Last edited by stewyb; 8th Dec 2019 at 13:06.