PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P2 Handling
Thread: P2 Handling
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2019, 15:07
Uplinker

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
I do not get this. Everything in the flight-deck is done double-stitch style. One executes, the other watches. When released for the first solo, were we not allowed to taxi then, un-supervised? Would there be a test exercise after those 1000 hrs to evaluate their (never practiced) taxying skills? Hope many would agree that whenever taxi gets seriously demanding it's better that the responsible PIC has a chart at hand and is looking out, delegating physical steering to the other cockpit resource.
I am very pro F/Os taxiing, see my second paragraph of #21.

I was thinking of the cadet who has only flown a Cessna SEP for 120 hours, then ‘the next day’ finds them self in the cockpit of an A320 as their first commercial type. Taxiing from day one, as well as flying would be a big ask, until the cadet has got used to the airport environment, signage and cues etc. As 2 stripers, we taxied BAe146s in a previous airline, but had all flown turboprops in the same company first, so were used to commercial airports and flying.

Yes, in the next company we had 6 or 10 sectors of taxi training, before being allowed to taxi an A320 !! And most of us had thousands of hours TT by then.