PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Funny things Flight Manuals say
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2019, 14:58
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Funny things Flight Manuals say

A part of my job is writing Flight Manual Supplements for modified aircraft. There are specified formats to be followed, but beyond that, I try to do a good job, and write a document which flows well, and is easy and effective for the pilot to use, while being brief. So, I also consider existing Flight Manuals, and Supplements in this context. So, sometimes things catch my eye...

I've bee reviewing the Flight Manual for the Cessna Grand Caravan, as I have some flying to do in one in the next week or so.

Emergency Procedures - Engine Failure During Flight
1. Airspeed ... 95 KIAS
2. Power Lever ... Idle
3. Prop RPM Lever ... Feather
4. Fuel Condition Lever ... Cutoff
5. Wing Flaps Handle ... Up
6. Fuel Boost Switch... Off
7. Fuel Shutoff Knob... Pull Off
Then, a number of "turn off electrical" items - so far so good... then, last item....
12. Flight.... Terminate (as soon as possible) (as described in Emergency Landing Without Engine Power)

Yeah... I'm thinking you don't need to make it an emergency procedures checklist item to tell the pilot to terminate the flight as soon as possible, as they are looking through the feathered prop of the stopped engine that they have secured! The flight is already terminating itself!

We'll see what other interesting logic paths people find in flight manuals. Some may have explanations, but, as I have found, Flight Manuals are written by humans, and reviewed by other humans, and I too have acted in both of those roles!