PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Climate Change and YSSY crosswinds?
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2019, 01:20
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by 601
Dr Dre So instead of shouting at all and sundry who may have a different point of view to yours
I haven’t been “shouting” at anyone. I’ve just pointed out false statements presented by others and debunked them with linked info from scientific sources. That’s not “shouting”.

I get bored with all the shouting that the sky is falling without offering anything concrete to solve the problem. Frankly all this shouting it is a turnoff.
There are solutions out there to climate change, but the measures don’t sit well with a lot of people. We’ll collectively have to decide whether we pay the cost of them now or pay for the cost of not dealing with what science is telling us will almost certainly happen later.

As for the 70s cooling, We did not have the web nor the scourge of "social media" to amplify what may or may not have been accurate. But in those days, the media was more about factual reporting that opinions. We had to make up our own minds from the reporting. It may have been debunked later but it felt real at the time.
Well that’s the perception you got from the media at the time. The science was still being done. So to say “in those days the media was more about factual reporting than opinions” would be incorrect as theories about “global cooling” weren’t proven nor were accurate. So it was an “opinion” over “factual reporting” in the 70s. But now it’s pretty obvious that the credible scientists have come to this conclusion, and those are the people we should be listening to now, not media talking heads.

I’m not (nor have I ever claimed to be) an expert on climate related issues. All I’ve done is read a lot, facts and info from credible scientists. It’s all out there in the open. The facts, the data, the scientific method, the predictions and solutions to the problem.

For an overview of some solutions, check out this page from the Australian Academy of Science. Broadly problems can be dealt with by emissions reduction, sequestration, adaptation or geoengineering.

Last edited by dr dre; 7th Dec 2019 at 01:53.