PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R.I.P. 26 Nov 1969 - 50 years ago
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2019, 22:40
Union Jack

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by freemark
I can’t post a URL, but if you search Stuff NZ website there is an interesting article, including this “The VC went posthumously to RNZAF Flying Officer Lloyd Allan Trigg. Born in rural Houhara, Northland, the 29-year-old was serving with the RAF's 200 Squadron RAF Coastal Command in West Africa when the B-24 Liberator bomber he was commanding sighted a surfacing German U-Boat on 11 August 1943 - 386 kms off the coast of Dakar.”
Since Freemark cannot yet post links, I hope that I may be permitted firstly to thank him for highlighting this unique award, and secondly to add a link on his behalf, namely https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/...ictoria-cross/ which contains some intriguing details, most importantly the fact that Flying Officer Trigg's VC was awarded solely on the evidence of the U-468's Commanding Officer, one of the handful of Germans who survived the action, who only survived themselves after the loss of the Liberator and the U-boat by using a dinghy which came loose from the Liberator, before finally being picked up by the Royal Navy.

Jack