PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Climate Change and YSSY crosswinds?
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2019, 22:17
Willie Nelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps a useful term?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consilience

In days gone past there was never unanimous agreement that the precise ill effects of smoking where ‘fact’ different studies indicated greater concerns around different levels of smoking and different types of ill effects but nobody put it down to a conspiracy by the UN.

Tobacco companies with a vested interest used the differences in studies and the not easily repeatable precise outcomes of other studies to highlight so called doubt but the consillience of evidence always pointed to the long term harmful effects on human health. To this day some people still believe that smoking is absolutely harmless and will point to people like George Burns who smoked like a chimney and lived till 100 years of age but this does not dispute the evidence off the widely understood I’ll effects of smoking.

With reference to the NASA minority report, that was news to me and I’m happy to take it on board keeping in mind that NASA employs around 18,000 people, I don’t find it too surprising that there might be 49 former employees who take a different view to their leadership particularly if you take into account all of the current and former employees.

From the Guardian “Attacks on NASA by former staff shouldn’t be taken seriously” (You may well bitch about the source but I dare you to prove them wrong before you do)

Based on the job titles listed in the letter signatures, by my count they include 23 administrators, 8 astronauts, 7 engineers, 5 technicians, and 4 scientists/mathematicians of one sort or another (none of those sorts having the slightest relation to climate science). Amongst the signatories and their 1,000 years of combined professional experience, that appears to include a grand total of zero hours of climate research experience, and zero peer-reviewed climate science papers. You can review the signatories for yourself here.

​​​​​So yes I will acknowledge there is some doubt from some very smart former employees of NASA as to the veracity of the anthropogenic consensus but you’ll have to forgive me for putting that to the side for now.