PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet-5
Thread: EasyJet-5
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2019, 20:24
OltonPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BHX

Originally Posted by FRatSTN
Whilst of course more than feasible operationally to serve more European routes from other bases like MXP, LYS and TXL, it's a prospect that seems quite unlikely.

It doesn't really suit their usual network development strategy in the UK and would still be hugely limiting as to what route development opportunities could work from BHX.

If there was a significant appetite to grow a European route map from BHX, they'd open a base, pure and simple. The problem right now no doubt would be access to optimal first wave slots, but they wouldn't just serve odds and sods from other existing bases as a substitute to more profitable expansion, simply just because they can.
I always got the impression it is more about how much the airport would give them per pax to open a base whereas BHX usually like it the other way around.

Slots, stands etc is not an issue at BHX and remember there are two early morning ring-fenced slots for AMS and CDG currently used by Flybe available to any other airline that wants them. This is why the rumours resurfaced as they only have to keep the 3 CDG and 5 Amsterdam slot pairs for 3 years I believe before they can use them on whatever route they want.

Of course I doubt any right-minded airline wouldn't want 5 Amsterdam slot pairs on BHX but I don't think you have to take them all and to some, including me thought that this was the most likely way easyjet would come to BHX in numbers.

There are still plenty of routes at BHX which easyjet could consider at BHX but they clearly feel that to make money they would need help from the airport and maybe this is the sticking point.

I get the impression BHX are not convinced that they would recover any cost involved in a deal from ancillary income such as shops and car parks and no doubt easyjet believe BHX services will not be profitable if they pay the airports published fees but hopefully one day they will be able to agree common ground.

Pete