PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2019, 05:08
flyboyjimjim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey All,

First of all congratulations to anyone that has recently been accepted into the ADF for aircrew, your hard work has truly paid off and you deserve full credit!

I have a quick question. Unfortunately at my 2 ASP's I was knocked back for Air Force pilot. I fully believe I can reach the standard required as first time being so young (16) I did feel quite nervous and made many silly mistakes, which really brought my score down, and second time I did perform much better with a cooler head (being older at 18), however I genuinely feel as though with the appropriate practice and experience my third attempt will be even better. I ranked quite high in some of the domains and just need to try and improve one or two (mainly strategic task management).

In the mean time before I go back, and whilst I complete my degree (I've just completed the first year of a four year mech and aero engineering degree), I have considered joining the reserves in some capacity, to not only improve my officer potential and demonstrate military motivation, but also to just genuinely serve my country in some capacity before I am able to hopefully fully dedicate myself to the service in the role I have always dreamed of.

Would joining the reserves be feasible if I want to later serve as a pilot (or even mission if pilot is not an option third time round), and if so, what would be the best roles (officer or enlisted) to join as for a future potential pilot (regardless of if they're recruiting for them at this moment)? I was thinking the top ones in the air force would be Intelligence officer or Ops manager (both are offered as reserve roles), but I'm open to any suggestions from all three services. Finally, if I am fortunate to enter into the reserves as an officer, would I need to repeat officer training, as it appears to be identical to full time?

Thank you for reading all of that! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has tips for improving strategic task management, I'm more than happy to hear that as well!