PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Climate Change and YSSY crosswinds?
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2019, 01:28
dr dre

Received 364 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by 73qanda
I am wanting to understand how/what Dr Dre thinks. He or she said
I’m trying to understand exactly what Dre thinks is consensus, and what is fact. I suspect I may be misunderstanding some statements that have been posted.
Clearly there is a consensus amongst many that global temperatures are going to rise because of greenhouse gas emissions, but it isn’t a scientific fact. I want to know if Dre thinks the predictions are scientific fact because if that’s the case our minds will never meet.
Cheers
Let's look at the meanings of words:
Scientific consensus is the collective judgment, position, and opinion of the community of scientists in a particular field of study. Consensus implies general agreement, though not necessarily unanimity
In science, a fact is a repeatable careful observation or measurement (by experimentation or other means), also called empirical evidence
Empirical evidence is the information received by means of the senses, particularly by observation and documentation of patterns and behavior through experimentation. It is information that verifies the truth (which accurately corresponds to reality) or falsity (inaccuracy) of a claim.
Now that we've got that out of the way, we can see that we are looking for empirical evidence to verify the science of climate change. There is mountains of it. All peer reviewed scientific measurements and observations from reputable scientific sources. From height of the tropopause, upper atmosphere changes, ocean changes, infrared radiation, longwave radiation, energy imbalances, changes in ice sheets, sea levels, changes in CO2, spectroscopy evidence of CO2 wavelength capture, energy balances, surface radiation forcing, and so on and so forth. It's overwhelming. Sen Malcolm Roberts would be over the moon at the amount of empirical evidence out there.

It's because of that empirical evidence that the overwhelming majority of climate scientists (ie, the consensus) now state that human induced climate change is a fact, like NASA:

“The weight of all of this information taken together points to the single consistent fact that humans and our activity are warming the planet,”
The scientific method and climate change: How scientists know

The IPCC:
Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, and since the 1950s, many of the observed changes are unprecedented over decades to millennia. Human influence on the climate system is clear, and recent anthropogenic emissions of greenhouse gases are the highest in history. Recent climate changes have had widespread impacts on human and natural systems.
IPCC Fifth Assessment Report, Summary for Policymakers

The US National Academy of Science:
Scientists have known for some time, from multiple lines of evidence, that humans are changing Earth’s climate, primarily through greenhouse gas emissions
Climate at the National Academies

And on and on and on...
Just like how hundreds of world wide scientific bodies hold the exact same position - The following are worldwide scientific organizations that hold the position that Climate Change has been caused by human action:

It isn't just a hypothesis, it isn't just a theory, it isn't just a guess, it's fact, it's empirical, it's proven. After going through the scientific method. I really don't know what else needs to be said.