PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B377-800 rotation
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2019, 19:56
Escape Velocity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingStone
That's a very poor advice and not even remotely in line with the FCTM, which suggests smooth continuous rotation towards target pitch attitude is the way to do it.

Stopping rotation at deadband has at least two negative effects. First, your obstacle clearance could be less than optimum if a donkey quits. Second, on tyre speed limited departure you can easily achieve GS in excess of tyre speed limit, since the aircraft continues acceleration on the ground instead of rotating and lifting off.

I say stick to what instructors and FCTM say, but that's just me.

Agree 100% with this. The "deadband" is caused by the horizontal stab/elevator passing through the disturbed air behind the wing at about 7 to 8 degrees, just about liftoff pitch attitude. The elevator loses a little effectiveness as it rotates downward through this band. The 757 and 767 do it also but not as pronounced. It seems to be more noticeable in the -800 (I've flown the 200, 300, 400 and 700). Ask your instructor (if he's allowed due to syllabus) to let you do a slow flight exercise - level flight, t/o flaps and Vr speed - you will feel it.

As Flying Stone says, the FTCM recommends a smooth continuous rotation to target pitch attitude. You will find in the actual airplane that lots of factors will affect your rotation "feel" - t/o weight, trim, flap setting, etc. - sometimes you'll need the extra tug, sometimes not.