PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B377-800 rotation
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2019, 17:09
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll use different terms than "markedly" and "substantial heave". The reason is that the tail strike attitude is 9.5 degrees if I remember correctly. Target pitch limit is 8 degrees on the HUD. That takeoff tailstrike reference line limit at 8 degrees is present until 10' AGL and which point it continues at 3 (?) degrees per second. So the natural tendency for the plane to hesitate, for lack of a better word, at 7-8 degrees isn't a bad thing. A slight pause in your rotation and the plane typically flies off shortly afterwards. It's very similar to the 727-200 if you've flown that. Rotate, it sits at x degrees of pitch while it thinks about it for a second, and then it flies off.

For the 737-800 I'm talking about Flaps 1 with derate. More flaps, or max power, and it's less obvious.

I don't know the exact fidelity of the sim, in comparison to the real aircraft, that you're in but I wouldn't use "substantial" and "markedly" to describe the pause. A lot of guys don't notice it so it's not some huge event. It's there, somewhat minor, but it exists. So I wouldn't jump in the airplane and get to 7 degrees of pitch and make a "markedly" and "substantial heave" to your target climb out attitude (17 degrees is a good initial SWAG). That's how tail strikes occur. Rotate to 7.5/8 degrees, pause, get to 10' AGL (obvious ground departure) follow the HUD guidance, and you'll never get a tail strike.

If you don't have the HUD to assist you the 7.5 degree mark is on the pitch attitude indicator, pause, get obvious ground departure via peripheral vision or other cues/instruments, and then continue a normal rotation towards 17 degrees (adjust as necessary - a la Top Gun - do that pilot sh*t).

Last edited by misd-agin; 14th Dec 2019 at 14:40.