PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KLM passengers enjoy 12-hour flight to nowhere
Old 4th Dec 2019, 13:58
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM
Then that's ops incompetence, saying because it's legal that's fine, even though it's not agreed with handling agents or whatever so it's going to be a nightmare. The sort of thing that airline A is OK at arranging in advance, airline B less so.
To answer that without outing myself the long winded admin/paperwork chase> out of hours incident I alluded to happened after a diversion to one of the filed alternates, which itself was a major international airport where we had (fortunately) support from our own company ground staff because it was one of our on-line stations....however we and the passengers were not where we were supposed to be........now throw in the inability to do a quick fuel and go due to continued carp weather ...now chuck in crew going out of hours..then..chuck in factors such as being well outside Europe/Schengen zone, so we are into Visas/ESTAs...

Hindsite is a wonderful thing, so with the benefit of that I’d say regardless of how good you think your airline is IMHO anything is possible, especially if obvious pragmatic solutions can be deemed impossible at the spur of the moment by local officials in some countries..

So I’m not about to knock KLM for what they did.....