PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MEL definition
Thread: MEL definition
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2019, 05:42
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightDetent
hans, I'd argue what is displayed here is not cavalier (ehm) attitudes but the word of applicable law. At least that's what I tried to relay in my post, happy to underline the intention now. And that law does not preclude you from returning back. Au contraire it forces you to apply judgement and exercise authority when taking the decision whether to fly or taxy back.

Moreover, the principle of dispatch moment being the start of taxi under own power is also known to the people who write and certify the MMEL.

Your second point is an excellent illustration to the different protocols (with missing links that I allude to above): Imagine that in pinteam's situation: his entry in the logbook must be counter-signed by approved line-maintenance. So, unlike you, he has the need to continue without recording it pre-takeoff, and the law entitles him to do so. Different strokes for different players.

Writing the above I already got two ideas (case studies) where - based on your wisdomly posting history - I'd bet half a bitcoin you personally (in the door warning situation) would just set the burners full and be gone to worry about the paperwork later.

But there's a better story, not a week old. Upon receiving the taxi instruction, I flicked the taxi LT switch and nothing happed. That's pre-dispatch.
- hhhmmm ....?
Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I had the door warning on a central America red-eye turn (and my overnight bag was in the hotel in KFLL) and I went back to the gate. Took them 15 minutes to defer, got back to the hotel in time for breakfast. I replied to the light question already. I generally agree with you on here, and as a former ACMI and 91K pilot know very well how to keep the aircraft moving, but I am surprised the airlines in the EU give that much latitude. As far as Pineteam's example, he hadn't started to move on it's own power, so the door should have been reopened. Not easy, but safe.
Also, in a previous post you questioned what to do about successful reset of systems in flight, we have an "info only" write up in the AML for that.

Last edited by hans brinker; 4th Dec 2019 at 05:54.