PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Climate Change and YSSY crosswinds?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 22:58
Willie Nelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George Glass
Fossil fuels are of incomparable economic utility.
Fossil fuels lifted humanity out of the Hobbesian nightmare of 90% of human existence.
China, India and the rest of the developing world know this and are determined to have their moment in the sun. Nothing middle class hand-wringing westerners will change that.
Renewables are nowhere near supplying the majority of base-load power anywhere, and wont for the foreseeable future despite the fantastical non-physical properties advocates dream of.
Until you can come with REAL alternatives to the Jet A1 that powers every jet aircraft, the fuel oil that powers every cargo ship or the diesel that powers every regional diesel electric train, all heavy road transport and farm machinery please spare me your sanctimonious harping.
Weaning ourselves off fossil fuels will be extraordinarily difficult and in some cases not possible at all.
Either way scientists , engineers and entrepreneurs will provide the solutions , not haranguing from Cultural Revolution re-enactors from Extinction Rebellion.
I agree with much of what you have stated, currently there is no viable alternative to jet fuel, worthy evolutionary improvements in efficiency aside, are just that, they are not revolutionary and short of an engineering miracle I can’t see any on the horizon in the next twenty years at least.

That said, it doesn’t follow that continuing to pump greenhouse gases into the atmosphere isn’t causing significant problems that may become irreversible at some point in the future, I guess that’s why many of us are concerned.

If the free market a viable alternative readily available for jet fuels, my guess is we’d already be heavily invested in it.

Correct me me if I’m wrong, and I often am, you don’t feel concerned about the future direction of the climate and it’s potential impacts on the way we source our food and drinking water? If you don’t, then that’s at least one point at which we part ways.

To be clear, I think myself and my wife will live a long and healthy life but I am also concerned about my children and their ability to stay healthy and free of global conflict surrounding issues such as water and food security.

I ask this as a genuine question not a rhetorical diatribe, perhaps you’re not concerned, if not I’d be genuinely interested in your logic, that’s all. You seem articulate enough to be able to flesh this out.